Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Kangaroo care and Cooper is off his c-pap!

I got to hold Cooper today for the very first time! I cried...I am just so in awe of this little man! The nurse told me that I could hold him for 30 minutes so she put his little body on my chest and my heart just melted. He was doing so good and was so relaxed that they told me that he could stay with me for ANOTHER 30 minutes! I sang him a song that the music therapist taught me and I started to cry again! So, as long as he's having a good day, we'll do 30 minutes of kangaroo care in the morning and 30 minutes in the evening. The NICU staff is awesome about letting us do all the (reasonable) care for him during the day.

I'm pumping every 3 hours so they'll be giving him breast milk with his formula. I changed his diaper again today which is fun because I haven't had much experience with changing little boy diapers but I'm getting the hang of it!

The most awesome news though is that Cooper is off his c-pap and is breathing all on his own! The nurse said that he is doing so well that technically speaking he could go to the step down unit already but he's going to stay in his pod for now because he's only 31 weeks. The number 1 rule is that no baby goes home before 34 weeks...but, that's totally okay with me because I don't want him to come home until he is completely ready.

Here are some pics from kangaroo care today and a picture of his little face without his c-pap! He gets all of his hair from his daddy because every baby born on my side of the family is born bald!

Here is Cooper without his c-pap! He does still have a feeding tube in his nose but his little face is so much freer now!

I'm rubbing his little back!

Kangaroo care from this morning...

This is our first skin to skin contact...do I have to tell you how happy my heart is here?




14 comments:

  1. Jen, such beautiful pictures. I am so happy for you guys!! What a blessing he is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am simply over the moon for you! You deserve this happiness more than ever... I can just imagine how proud Lily is. Lots of hugs Jen! Get well soon! Hugs and love from our whole family :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I just love these pictures! He is so cute, Jen, and you look like such a proud Mommy! It's awesome to hear that he is doing so well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our little man is soooo cute! And you look so wonderful with him snoozing on your chest...again, words cannot say how happy I am for you! Love you, Jen! I know Lily is smiling and so proud of her little brother, Cooper!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautie! I am glad everyone is doing well. Jen, you are just beaming!!! What an expected end!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Jen he is ADORABLE!!!!! I am so happy he is doing good!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. He is soo handsome. congrats on your rainbow!

    it gives me hope

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my. Brought tears to my eyes. There are no words. He's incredible, honey. I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jen, you are positively radiant!!! I am thrilled that he is doing so well. You'll have him home in no time at all! : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a darling boy! I have been following your story and wishing the best outcome for you and your family. I was definitely surprised when I came here today and saw the last 3 posts! But I am just teary and so happy to hear that Cooper has arrived and is doing well. Wishing you a quick recovery as well. BIG congratulations and all my best!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Off the c-pap?! This is fantastic news. Congratulations! He'll be a little chunker in no time.

    -Joshua

    ReplyDelete
  12. YAY!!! What wonderful news :D Those pictures bring tears to my eyes. Just so very happy for you!! Thanks for the update...

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful baby! I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so happy to see the good news update. After following your posts for a while now it is so good to see the pure joy in your face and Cooper is so beautiful and strong. Kangaroo care is a time to cherish, I still remember from 2 years ago with my little guy who's not so little anymore. Enjoy your cuddle times together and take care

    ReplyDelete