Friday, February 19, 2010

A must read~ in my opinion!

I recently read the above book and really wish that I had read it while I was pregnant with Cooper. There are certain things that you expect to come along with mommyhood, i.e. loss of sleep, dirty diapers, and singing lullabies. You know what's hardest about being a first-time mom...that my expectations didn't exactly match up with reality.
For instance, the guilt that comes along with your baby's first diaper rash. Rationally, I can tell myself that 35% of babies will have a diaper rash but in my mind I look at it as if I'm not changing his diaper enough. How about the guilt associated with having to give up breastfeeding...that's a whooper! You expect the loss of sleep but no one ever tells you that you will be so tired at times that your eyes will cross. And, your marriage will change no matter how great of a couple you are...these are just a few of the things that have I encountered since the birth of my much loved and much wanted child...but, being a mommy is so much harder than I think most mommies want to admit...because, if we admit that it's hard than we look weak.
I have analyzed my mommy instincts over and over again...because, I find myself comparing my instincts to other mommies. Hey, there are even one or two of you in blogging land that make me feel inadequate! But, what I do know is that EVERYTHING I do is in the best interest of my child. I live and breath to make his life better and if that means I have to ask for advice from other mommies than so be it...that doesn't make me weak...
I was the first to dish out advice before I had a baby...funny, uh? I was giving advice on something that you have no idea about until you have a baby of your own...not a baby that you babysit but a baby that is your sole responsibility to keep alive, happy, and healthy.
What this book has given me is a sense of normalcy. To not judge other mommies but to embrace the fact that all mommies will have their own way of parenting. To accept help and to be truthful to each other about how hard the job of being a mommy is whether you are a SAHM or work outside (or out of) the home mommy. To cherish each day with their kids and to live in the moment...because you can't get the small things back and our babies will be grown before we know it!
I think this book should almost be required reading for moms-to-be or brand new mommies...it didn't help me develop my mommy instincts but made me realize that if my instincts are slightly off one day that I'm not the world's worst mommy...and, Thank God for that :)

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the advice - I will take any and all that I can get!! I am going to put this book on my list to buy. I am guessing, however, that it does not give advice about baby loss funks that happen after the rainbow comes? Either way, I am sure that it will help tremendously!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I'll read it since it has a huge cupcake on the cover. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was the perfect mother before I had kids, too! I have a few siblings who don't have kids yet, and it drives me CRAZY when they give me parenting advice! I mean, I do know a few things. I've been at it for over eight years! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...I'm still far from perfect, and that's okay! It's nice to know that there is no one way to do things, and that no one has parenting down perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading new books like this, I can never get enough reading about parenting - it seems like there is so much out there and not enough time to read it. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great title. Please remind me of this book in a few weeks/ months :)

    ReplyDelete