Saturday, November 5, 2011

The hospital story

Our hospital saga actually started on Monday the 25th when Cooper was running 104 fever and was really congested. They did a chest x-ray and it was clear so we were sent home to continue what we would normally do for Cooper's congestion since he has asthma.

The next day, we went back because Cooper's respiration were just out of control there were a few times that I counted 60 breaths per minute. Just for a frame of reference, non-sick 2 year olds breath about 20-30 breaths per minute so he was breathing twice as hard as he should've been. We headed back to our local children's hospital and they did another chest x-ray which showed pneumonia in both of his lungs. They admitted him with an unknown virus and it took 3 days for blood work and a nasal sample to reveal that he had RSV. We were on contact isolation actually the entire time that we were there but were allowed in the hallways with face masks UNTIL the rsv was discovered then he was stuck in his room for the duration.

We did come home on Monday, halloween, but didn't go trick or treating. His docs (his regular ped and his pulmonologists) want him to stay away from group activities with kids his age. Mainly, because kids his age don't know to cough into their elbows and wash their hands and Cooper's asthma trigger (so far) has been viruses. This poor kid, if it's not one thing, it's another...

I never go anywhere without a camera so I snapped some pics when he was getting better. Quite honestly, I don't think I have ever been more scared than I was the Friday that they admitted him into the ICU. I wasn't as scared the day he was born at 31 weeks then I was on Friday. So, these pics are from Sunday when he was moving onto the regular floor again and he was going back towards health.



This tree was our view from our room on the ICU. I just loved the color of the leaves so this was my focal point when I started having anxiety...



Cooper reading some birthday cards...







One of his best buds sent him this Mr. Potato head and he loved it!



And, this was when I knew my Coopie was feeling better, when he stuffed a whole powder donut in his mouth...such a boy!






3 comments:

  1. So glad he's feeling better! How long does he have to stay away from group activities? Hoping we will still get to see you some at MOPS stuff.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's a fighter. Very happy that he's feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so far behind in reading blogs...just got caught up with you. I got teary eyed reading this post. I would have been SO afraid if Asher had been in the ICU. You're an amazing Mom! So very glad that Coop is feeling better!!!

    Love the bday photo of Cooper hugging his daddy - so sweet :-)

    ReplyDelete